Saturday, June 10, 2006

Are soccer players a bunch of drama queens?



Now, I don't consider myself an expert on soccer, but I do enjoy watching the occasional game. Now with the World Cup, I'll be enthusiastically following the exploits of England and Portugal. As a Canuck, I'm more of a hockey fan than anything else, but the pace of soccer and the artistry of some players can be admired.

But what I DON'T admire is the melodrama on the soccer pitch. You know, the writhing and grimacing whenever a player comes within an inch of another. This kind of fakery used to draw a penalty kinda turns me off. A recent article in Slate shares some of my views.

Ok, never mind that the article labels soccer as a game for communists (where the heck did that come from?). but it also highlights the unappealing nature of faking an injury. It's a big turnoff for guys like myself, who have great respect for players who continue on despite their injuries.

Take, for instance, NASCAR. I know Formula 1 fans turn their noses up at this racing series known as 'Country Music on Wheels'. But boy, you've gotta have respect for someone who checks himself out of a hospital burn unit, drives a race and checks himself back in. (article).

No comments:

Powered By Blogger