Saturday, June 03, 2006

The road more or less travelled?

You know me... I love travel. I love seeing new things, new cultures and most of all, eating new foods. :) I've been lucky enough to see large chunks of Western Europe, Japan and the United States. Each place has its own charm that's well worth experiencing. Even the mundane, like stopping by a 'Lawson's' convenience store in Japan is an adventure for a sheltered Canadian like me. (So... is that a bag of potato chips, or a bunch of dried squid eggs? Hmmm....)

But for those who have travelled, have you noticed one strange thing? For those who stay in youth hostels, have your EVER noticed that they're filled with the same crowd of Aussies, Kiwis, Canucks and Brits? Ever noticed that they ALL go to the same place? Like many Canadians, and heck, English-speakers in general, we use the usual travel guides like the 'Lonely planet', 'Let's Go', and the 'Rough Guide'. This got me thinking... do Spanish speakers use the same kind of books? Are there places out there that are filled with people from Mexico, El Salvador or Argentina? How about German or Chinese speakers?

So what got me babbling about this? Well, there's this article in the Guardian that got me thinking about backpackers and tourism in general. In these days of mass-market tourism, it seems like we're all going to the same places, and the sense of adventure is lost.

Give it a read. What do you think?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger