Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I'll have that with a Diet Coke, please


I ran into this article in the Guardian newspaper the other day. It introduced me to the monstrosity otherwise known as the "Quad Stacker" at Burger King. This monstrosity, ladies and gentlemen, is made of four beef patties, four slices of cheese and four pieces of bacon all served on a tasty sesame bun. I was shocked, yet became somewhat peckish, at seeing such a thing.

For laughs, I decided to check BK's 'nutritional' brochure. (I find the term 'nutritional' rather optimistic in this case). Now, the Whopper itself is pretty bad at 650 calories and 39 grams of fat. For your reference, a typical chocolate bar is only between 100-150 calories. [Aug 25: Correction - make that 200-300 calories]

But if you try BK's 'Build a meal' tool on their website, you'll see this info for the Quad Stacker:


Yum! This baby is packed with 1000 calories and 68 grams of fat. Oh yeah, and it meets your daily fat intake allowance for one and a half days. So... who wants to try one with me? We can get some fries and a milkshake with that too. (Yes, I'm serious)

But let's say you're in the mood for breakfast. We don't have this in Canada, but in the US, McDonald's carries the Deluxe Breakfast. It's basically like a regular Big Breakfast, except, well, bigger. I've actually eaten one of these, and they're pretty good... if you're planning to hike up a freaking mountain (right, G?). This puppy is packed with 1200 calories of wholesome processed goodness. And on top of that, it has a mere 160% of your daily recommended cholesterol intake.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against McDonald's and BK serving these meals. I think it's a matter of personal responsiblity to monitor what you eat.

But wow... that burger is INSANE. I'm sure your arteries will appreciate it.

And on that note, it's time for dinner. Sigh. Rice and asparagus again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's disgusting. Morgan Spurlock would puke. hmm. I'm feeling peckish. Too bad meat in this city is so expensive. Good thing they opened a Tim Hortons across the street from my apartment. Donut fat can substitute for animal fat right?
fat fat fat.
fat.

Siochain said...

I threw up in my mouth a little just reading about it. We should totally go get one before we see Snakes on a Plane, don't you think?

Stina said...

Ugh... that's just gross. I don't think I can eat that much meat in one sitting!!

How about this... YOU have the burger and I'll have your french fries and milkshake... and I'll keep 911 on the speed dial for the inevitable heart attack to follow!

Jenn & Owen said...

Just...got...back...from...camping. Meat and potato chip overdose... only thing keeping arteries open...bottle after bottle of red wine...

Anonymous said...

Mmmm I'll have the milkshake! And after you have your huge burger, I'll see you at work- haha ;)

Tom said...

Hey Mil, I spoke with the-other-Tom. He agreed to join me in eating the burger - as long as I race a 10k with him. Is that enough running to burn off the entire burger? Or should I combine that with red wine?

I'm going to be *so* sick...

Anonymous said...

I did a bit of calculating... if you were 80kg (sorry, guestimating), and ran as fast as Wendy does for the 10k, you would burn about 900kcals (give or take- more give than take).

Since your burger's about 1000 calories, I suggest running a little longer :P And also taking some cholesterol-lowering medication like Lipitor or Zocor!! (Let me know if you need a few). I can also be your race's first aider- I've even got a shirt from Ottawa Race Weekend!!

Powered By Blogger