Sunday, September 10, 2006

Random movie review

Yikes. I never thought I would start off a blog entry mentioning child beauty pagents. These pageants make young kids look way too artificial and mature for their age. These pageants are weird and creepy, and for those who've seen 'Little Miss Sunshine', you know exactly what I mean. I saw this film over the weekend in Toronto, and this is the first time I've ever seen a movie where I was simultaneously horrified, offended, and cringing in my seat with discomfort. Yet I was laughing my head off.

And thus I highly recommend this movie. Two opposable thumbs up.

I won't give any more details since I don't want to ruin the movie. I came into the movie knowing nothing about it, and for that reason, I think it was all the more enjoyable. Although they use the tired formula of stuffing a dysfunctional family into a van for a cross-country trip, the writing and the strength of the characters makes this movie refreshing, quirky and smart. The bizzare world of child beauty pageants makes a hysterical backdrop to this movie. This is a rare gem in this otherwise disappointing summer at the movies.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger