Monday, September 11, 2006

The weather was rainy and the wine sucked, but at least the tour guide was hot


How ironic. I visited a well-known winery in Niagara-on-the-lake over the weekend with a buddy of mine. The wine tour was fun, the winery staff were pleasant and the food was awesome. So how come the wine sucked?

(If you're wondering, we tried a variety of white wines, and the only one I can recommend is the Hillebrand Estates 2004 Reisling. Everything else was pretty flat and boring. Perhaps we tried the wine from a mediocre year?)

I'm by no means a wine expert, and since I lack a good sense of smell, I can never be. With that said, even with my unrefined tastes, I can still appreciate a good glass of wine. Which is why I found Hillebrand Estates a bit disappointing. This winery has a good reputation but I'm wondering if it's for the right reasons. The staff was definately hired based on looks, unless they happened to hired a whole series of young blonde bombshell sommeliers by accident.

But otherwise, it was fine. I'm definately willing to give them another try since the restaurant is well worth another trip. Their cornmeal-crusted halibut was impressive, and it wasn't overpriced either.

Bottom line: Go for the food. Was disappointed with the whites - such as the 2004 Guwerztraminer.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger