Saturday, September 16, 2006

Toys, toys, toys

[Photography geek mode on]


Photokina 2006, a bi-annual European photography show, is coming up at the end of September. And, my photo-geek friends, what does that mean? Yup, new toys! There's been a series of pre-show announcements, and there's been a couple that have caught my eye.


I'm saving my pennies for this new digital SLR from Pentax, the K10D. It's a mid-level DSLR meant to compete against the Nikon D80/D200 and the Canon 30D. However, it's got a few tricks up its sleave, including:

  • Self-cleaning CCD, like that found in Olympus DSLRs

  • In body shake reduction, similar to Konica-Minolta's 5D. Effective up to 3-4 stops

  • Weather Sealing

  • Support for Pentax's new 'supersonic' lenses that should greatly improve AF speed. I guess Pentax has decided to compete against Canon's USM lenses.


I'm rather chuffed at this camera. I'm able to get shake reduction with my manual focus lenses from the 1970's! Whoo hoo! Also, it's price of $919US makes this a relative bargain. I don't think you get this set of features anywhere else below $5000. If you want more details, you can look at the insanely detailed preview at DPReview.com.


And for you well-monied traditionalists, here's the new Leica M8. It looks like another M-series rangefinder, but it's not a rehashed M7. They've put in a new viewfinder to adapt to the new CCD. It has all the film rangefinder quirks we know and love (or hate) for 'only' $4800 US. Ouch. Must be the 'Leica' name. This uses all the M-series lenses made since 1954.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice toys!! Would be nice if my next camera had shake reduction!! You should see these terrible blurry pictures I have from holding my arm up in the air!! :P

Powered By Blogger